• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Benkasim

Second Lieutenant
39 Badges
Jun 28, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
From Wikipedia: The Sultanate of Brunei ruled during the fourteenth to the sixteenth century CE. Its territory covered the northern part of Borneo and the southern Philippines. European influence gradually brought an end to this regional power. Later, there was a brief war with Spain, in which Brunei was victorious.

It was 1835 when a new story unfolded...

======== NOTES============
I love playing uncivilized and underdeveloped nations for some strange reasons.
Anyway, the first goal is to survive and civilize, and have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The brief Spanish war taught the Bruneian the folly of underestimating the strength of the White Bengalis. Even though, they came out victorious, it was at a very heavy cost.

As the result, the Sultan embraced the concept of openmindedness which led to the path of modernization. Traditional ways, which hampered progress, were casted aside and dialogs with the people were encouraged.

The Sultan chose the Liberal Party to lead the nation and encouraged the people to be entrepreneur and adventurous.

1839faction.gif

1836.gif

This new initiative was not without troubles. Non-malay minorities began to voice their unhappiness and clamored for independence. Noting that, the government chose not to take action and had those upspoken people monitored...

1836asiaminor.gif

The path to modernity was fraught with challenges and revolts. Balancing the nation;s needs to the people's desire was like walking on a thin thread.

Bringing in the westerners was never a popular choice among the elite. Strange customs and ideas spreading throughout the nation, not all of them were good ones. Still there were those who opposed fanatically.

1836westernise.gif

Alas in 1936, Brunei became the 30th most powerful nation in the world..not bad considering that it started with a pitiful 101th position.

---------------------
* Will be replaying Brunei again but it seems that if I am too passive in the beginning, I will have an uphill task later if I wanted to be a second-tier power. Not sure if it is possible to be a great power in my current state.

Anyway it was a good learning experience.

Only two countries got annexed by me, Bali and Burma..It was a pain to get rid of the badboy.. but I think annexing johore was a good move on your part as you get to expand to Siam.. I think after westernization..the badboy cost lower a lot but then again..the GP would have tag them under their sphere..

I got dowed by Netherlands a few weeks after westernization and taking Bali from me..Nevertheless I surrendered Bali in exchange for peace..I think if I had Aceh..they would have taken it from me as well...